Doctor MAK Dun-Ping, Arthur
- psychosomatic medicine
- affective disorders and anxiety disorders
- epidemiology and phenomenology of bipolar affective disorders
- epidemiology of anxiety disorders
- research on epidemiology, phenomenology, neuroimaging, development and evaluation of treatment modalities for functional gastrointestinal disorders
HONOURS AND AWARDS:
- American Gastroenterological Association - Digestive Disease Week 2015 -Recognition for Scientific Accomplishment as Early Stage Investigator – “Functional Dyspepsia-Post-Prandial Distress Syndrome is Associated with Increased Glutamate in the Somatosensory Cortex”
- New York Festivals 2017 World’s Best Radio Programs – Bronze Winner – “Madly Musical” – an RTHK4 radio program on the relationship between musical creativity and mental illnesses. (https://goo.gl/oZgVeZ ) (as guest presenter)
- The WHO World Mental Survey – International College Students project- coordinator of the Hong Kong site.
- Is GABA deficit the link between functional dyspepsia and major depressive disorder? (Research Grant Council/ General Research Fund, 14100815, 2016-2017.) CREC Ref: 2015.099
- Energy Metabolism as Biomarker and Pathogenesis of Bipolar II- Concurrent serum measures of Lipid Peroxidation, 1H-Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. (Research Grant Council/ Early Career Scheme, 24100114, 2015-2017) CREC Ref: 2014.168
- A Pragmatic Randomised Controlled Trial Comparing an Integrated Electroacupuncture Protocol in Chinese Adults with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Diarrhea-predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome ( Health and Medical Research Fund, 12130671, 2015-2017.) CREC Ref: 2014.559
- Psychopathology, executive dysfunction and role impairment in Chinese young adults with a previous clinical diagnosis of childhood attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Hong Kong, (Health and Medical Research Fund, 12130681, 2015-2018.) CREC Ref: 2014.543
- Randomized controlled trial of augmentative neuro-navigated right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex low frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation for antidepressant non-responding bipolar depression (Health and Medical Research Fund, 12130691, Health and Medical Research Fund, 12130691, 2015-2018.) CREC Ref: 2014.542
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Treatment for Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Young Adults (Private donation from “Skyone Logistics (HK) Ltd”, 2017-2018) CREC Ref:-pending
- Brain Neurochemical and Network Correlates of Gut Microbiota Composition in non-constipation IBS Patients (Department unit fund, 2016- ) CREC Ref: 2016.300
- Mak ADP, Chan AKW, Chan PKL, Tang CP, Lai K, Wong S, et al. Diagnostic Outcomes of Childhood ADHD in Chinese Adults. J Atten Disord. 2018:1087054718802015.
- Mak ADP, Lau DTY, Chan AKW, et al. Cognitive Impairment In Treatment-Naïve Bipolar II and Unipolar Depression. Scientific Reports 2018;8:1905.
- Cheung CKY, Lan LL, Kyaw M, Mak ADP, Chan A, Chan Y, et al. Up-regulation of transient receptor potential vanilloid (TRPV) and down-regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) expression in patients with functional dyspepsia (FD). Neurogastroenterology and motility : the official journal of the European Gastrointestinal Motility Society. 2018;30(2):e13176.
- Mak ADP, Northoff G, Yeung DKW, et al. Increased Glutamate in Somatosensory Cortex in Functional Dyspepsia. Scientific reports 2017;7(1):3926. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-04405-1.
- Mak ADP, Chan SSM, Lam LCW, Chu WCW, Chan A, Leung CMC, et al. Preliminary results from a randomized sham-controlled trial of augmentative Neuro-navigated right-dorsolateral prefrontal cortex low-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation for antidepressant non-responding Bipolar depression. Brain Stimulation: Basic, Translational, and Clinical Research in Neuromodulation. 2017;10(2):378-9.
- Wu JC, Chan AO, Chan YW, Cheung GC, Cheung TK, Kwan AC, Leung VK, Mak AD et al. The current treatment landscape of irritable bowel syndrome in adults in Hong Kong: consensus statements. Hong Kong medical journal = Xianggang yi xue za zhi / Hong Kong Academy of Medicine. 2017;23(6):641-7.
- Lam L, Mak AD, Lee S. Physical Exercise to calm your 'nerves'. In: Lam L, Riba M, editors. Physical Exercise Interventions for Mental Health. United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press; 2016. p. 79-95.
- Mak AD, Lam LC. Neurocognitive profiles of people with borderline personality disorder. Curr Opin Psychiatry 2013;26:90-6. Citations: 32.
- Mak AD, Wu JC, Chan Y, Chan FK, Sung JJ, Lee S. Dyspepsia is strongly associated with major depression and generalised anxiety disorder - a community study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2012;36:800-10. Citations: 46.
- Wu, J. C., Mak, AD, Chan, Y., Tsang, A., Sung, J. J., Chan, F. K. L., & Lee, S. Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is Strongly Associated With Psychological Disorders in the General Population: A Community-Based Study. Gastroenterology 140, S-725. 5-1-2011b. Citations: 1.
- Lee S, Tsang A, Mak A, Lee A, Lau L, Ng KL Concordance between telephone survey classification and face-to-face interview diagnosis of one-year major depressive episode in Hong Kong. Journal of Affective Disorders, doi: 1010.1016/j.jad.2010.03.024 Citations: 15
- Lee S, Guo W, Tsang A, Mak ADP, Wu J, Ng KL, Kwok K Evidence for the 2008 economic crisis exacerbating depression in Hong Kong. Journal of Affective Disorders 126(1), 125-133. Citations:86
- Mak AD Prevalence and correlates of bipolar II disorder in major depressive patients at a psychiatric outpatient clinic in Hong Kong. Journal of Affective Disorders, 112(1-3):201-5 Citations: 10